Jan 12, 2010

Fonts of Taste

Ok, so I'm in a Typography class and I'm basically stoked about it entirely. Our first assignment was to post four fonts that we like, and one we do not. Although I had never heard of any of these fonts before, the following four fonts embody several of my favorite characteristics of fonts/types.

"Fugu" by
Neil Summerour
The messy handwriting

This font is considered "rough script" by some, and I really like that type of style a lot. While this one airs on the side of Asian-esque, I still like this genre of type.




"FF Trixie Rough OT Light" by Erik van Blokland
The Distressed Typewriter

So it it's a bit overused sometimes, and it doesn't always have to be distressed (just a plain typewriter font will do), but I have always been really drawn to the look and feel of a typewrite typeface. It's recognizable by all age demographics and it's just plain cool.





"Rosedelia" by: Carlos Fabián Camargo Guerrero
Calligraphic Grunge

I really like most fonts that follow this type of genre... One of my most favorite fonts of all time is
Jellyka Castle's Queen (like it or not!). I think these types are really easily abused or overused, but the look of them can really do well in certain projects and pieces.





"Vesper"
(see how it was created here)

Distinct Serif

I'm not only a crazy type lady, I do enjoy a simple serif every now and then, but it has to be somewhat different. This type was eye catching because there are such subtle combinations in script and serif and block lettering (in my untrained opinion) that I simply couldn't leave it behind.




"Memoriam" by:Patrick Griffin
The curly-que using ball-on-edge crap.

I do not like this type because it is difficult to follow (as is the calligraphic grunge at times), it has too many elements and I just don't enjoy little circles tagged onto the edges of letters for the most part. The drastic variation in line thickness(I'm sure there is a more accurate term for this) just distracts me soo much


No comments:

Post a Comment